What AIDS means?
Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome
Human immuno deficiency virus
THE WINDOW PERIOD
The window period is that period from the time of infection to when the usual lab tests can detect the antibodies to the virus in the HIV-infected person.
Why is it important to know the window period?
a) The person carry the virus without knowing and infect others.
b) A person needs to be careful about taking and giving blood.
c) The test results may show negative and the person may think it means s/he has not been infected.
d) The person may take a second test after about three months.
HOW CAN WE SUSPECT A PERSON IS HAVING HIV?
Patients presents with
* Weight loss
* Chronic fever
* Chronic diarrhoea
* Fungal infections
- Oral cavity
* Herpes zoster infection
* Sexually transmitted diseases (STD)
- Genital ulcers & discharge
WHO IS AT RISK OF HIV INFECTION?
* All persons who are sexually active.
* All persons with limited knowledge about HIV infection, spread and risk factors.
* All unborn babies especially those from mothers infected with HIV and do not know or has not taken medical precaution to protect the baby.
* All young people and adolescents.
Red Ribbon symbolizes AIDS Awareness
The Red Ribbon continues to be a powerful force in the fight to increase public awareness of HIV/AIDS and in the lobbying efforts to increase funding for AIDS services and research.
HOW TO PROTECT YOUR CHILD FROM CHILD ABUSE?
* Teach them about
- Good touch &
- Sex Education